Are you in search of an ideal robo-advisor to help you fulfill your financial goals?
There are several robo-advisor products available in Canada. I can understand that choosing the right product can be a challenge with so many options.
I have used many robo-advisors myself in the past, and Questwealth is one of the top options for Canadians that I’ve extensively researched.
My Questwealth review will hopefully help you understand whether this robo-advisor is suitable for you.
There is over $8 billion USD invested with robo advisors in Canada in 2020
Wealthawesome Score: 4.9/5
- Industry-leading low fees
- Highly competitive ETF MERs
- Access to human advisors
- Offers socially responsible investment portfolios
- Free tax-loss harvesting
- Transparency about performance on the website
- Actively managed portfolio not proven to outperform
- Minimum requirement of $1,000
Summary: Questwealth is a hybrid robo-advisor product that actively manages diversified investment portfolios to provide Canadians with a way to build substantial wealth for themselves.
Free to sign up
Things to consider before choosing a robo-advisorRobo-advisors provide investment management online with minimal to moderate involvement of humans. They rely on the latest fintech developments to help you make the most of your investment capital.
Use a Robo-Advisor if:
- You don’t want to make your own self-directed portfolio.
- You want to pay low fees for investing your capital.
- You do not understand the risks involved with investing.
- You understand your investment goals and tolerance for risk.
- You want certified experts to handle investment decisions for you.
- You like the idea of socially responsible investment.
Don’t Use a Robo-Advisor if:
- You want to learn about investing and ETFs and have a self-directed investment account. Questwealth differs from regular robo-advisors since it’s a hybrid platform that involves human experts taking the helm.
- You prefer a lot of face-to-face time with financial advisors.
- You like buying and selling stocks to rebalance your portfolio.
How to Choose the Right Robo-AdvisorWhen you are considering robo-advisors, here are a few crucial factors you need to consider:
- Fees: The goal is to make the most of your investment to make more money. Getting a low-fee product that helps you grow your wealth is the most important factor.
- Portfolios Offered & Performance: When it comes to investment, you need to have a variety of options that align with your goals. You need a robo-advisor that offers you several types of portfolios suitable for a variety of investment goals and risk tolerance.
- Accounts Offered: There are various types of accounts available, and each offers its own features. You need to choose a robo-advisor that presents you with several account types to store your investment.
- Customer Service: Gauge the kind of customer support you can get from the platform. The level of customer support is crucial to help you make the most of your investment experience with a robo-advisor.
What is Questwealth?Formerly known as Questwealth Portfolios IQ, Questwealth is the robo-advisor product that Questrade Wealth Management Inc., a subsidiary of Questrade Financial Group Inc., manages. Questrade is an investment management firm based in Canada that started in 1999. The wealth management firm has over $9 billion in assets under management, and it has won Canada’s Best Managed Companies eight times. Questwealth Portfolio IQ was rebranded to simply Questwealth Portfolios in November 2018. It offers Canadians a platform to create an investment portfolio of low-cost ETFs with exceptional customer support. Questwealth can be ideal for investors who are not ready for DIY investing and want to enjoy low fees for wealth management services.
Questwealth FeesQuestwealth offers some of the most competitive fee structures you will see in the market for robo-advisors in Canada. That is a quality that drew me to it. The charges for using the robo-advisor and the management expense ratio (MER) for the ETFs that its portfolios consist of are attractive: Fees: 0.25% from $1,000 – $99,000 0.20% from $100,000+ ETFs MER: 0.17% to 0.22% 0.21% to 0.35% (for SRI Portfolios) If you have a balance of $40,000 with Questwealth, you can expect to pay a fee of around $8 per month. The fees for the robo-advisor is significantly lower than what you might expect to pay with the checking accounts at most banks. Questwealth does not charge any hidden fees. No fee for trading, funds transfers, or for making regular contributions. The lower fees allow you to save up several percentage points each year gradually. Saving a few percentage points each year might not seem attractive at first. However, the savings accumulate over time to help you a significant sum over time. As mentioned above, each ETF portfolio has a MER that depends on the underlying ETFs in that portfolio. The MER can reach up to as high as 0.35% for an SRI portfolio, and these fees are mentioned in the portfolio section when you are selecting the type at Questwealth. Get $10,000 Managed Free at QuestWealth Here
Questwealth Portfolios and ETF List OfferedIn this section of the Questwealth Portfolios review, we will discuss the ETF portfolio options you can choose. Currently, the robo-advisor offers five standard portfolios you can consider: Aggressive: Aggressive portfolios are designed for investors with a high tolerance for risk. The portfolio consists entirely of equity. Growth: The growth portfolio is designed to grow investor wealth, but it is not as high-risk as the aggressive portfolio. This is a portfolio made for investors with a medium to high-risk tolerance. It holds 20% in fixed income ETFs and 80% in equity. Balanced: Designed for investors with medium tolerance to risk, it holds 40% fixed-income ETFs and 60% equity. Income: Designed for investors with a low to medium risk tolerance. The portfolio consists of 40% equity and 60% fixed income ETFs. Conservative: The conservative portfolio is for investors who want to minimize the risk to their capital. It contains only 20% in equity and 80% in fixed income ETFs. Each Questwealth portfolio available comprises of a combination of the following low-cost ETFs:
- iShares Core Canadian Short Term Bond Index ETF
- iShares Core Canadian Universe Bond Index ETF
- iShares Core MSCI EAFE IMI Index ETF (CAD-Hedged)
- iShares Global REIT ETF
- SPDR Portfolio Emerging Market ETF
- WisdomTree Canada Quality Dividend Growth Index ETF
- SPDR Portfolio Total Stock Market ETF
Socially Responsible Investing (SRI)A winning feature that I like about Questwealth is its offering of Socially Responsible Investing (SRI) portfolios. SRI portfolios allow investors to invest their capital with ETFs that align with their moral values and beliefs. SRI portfolios consist of social and corporate governance ETFs, low carbon ETFs, and Cleantech ETFs. These also include ETFs of companies with excellent track records for labor practices, renewable energy companies, and other socially and environmentally responsible ETFs. Questwealth combines these ETFs to create five types of SRI portfolios that are suitable for investors with varying risk tolerance. These include:
- Aggressive Growth SRI
- Growth SRI
- Balanced SRI
- Income SRI
- Conservative SRI
Questwealth PerformanceQuestwealth offers you transparency when it comes to the performance of its portfolios. I think that is a sign of a trustworthy company. It publishes the performance of its ETF portfolios on its website. Here is the performance of its Aggressive Portfolio as of March 30, 2020.
Get $10,000 Managed Free at QuestWealth Here
Questwealth Accounts OfferedQuestwealth offers Canadians the following account types they can use with the platform:
- Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA)
- Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) – personal and spousal
- Locked-in RRSP
- Locked-in Retirement Account (LIRA)
- Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)
- Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF)
- Life Income Fund (LIF)
Most Popular Accounts
1. Questwealth TFSA
- Easy access to your capital
- Save for short- and long-term financial goals
- Tax-free growth of wealth
- Tax-free dividend and capital gain income
- Enjoy passive income and wealth-building without incurring taxes
2. Questwealth RRSP
- Save for long-term retirement goals
- Set up regular contributions
- Save more by starting early
- Leverage tax deductions on annual contributions
- Set yourself up for a comfortable life in retirement
3. Questwealth RESP
- Enjoy government grants
- Tax-deferred growth of capital
- Tax-sheltered environment for gains
- Withdraw with taxes on a lower tax bracket
- Boost your child’s chances for better education
Questwealth Customer ServiceQuestwealth Portfolios operates as a solely online robo-advisor service. It means you cannot go into their office if you want to talk to a financial expert or advisor from the company face-to-face. The contact with Questwealth is limited to social media, chat, email, and telephone. I have contacted Questwealth a few times that I’ve been using their service to get more information about the ETF portfolios. I never felt the need to call or email them. I contacted them through chat and found that they are prompt and helpful. Getting on the phone with them is not hard either if customers want that human element there. Questwealth also has a useful self-help function that provides information on a wide array of topics. Questrade, its parent company, received the 2019 DALBAR Seal for Service Excellence. It is a prestigious award that acknowledges leaders within the financial services department for excellent performance. Unfortunately, meeting the financial advisors is never a possibility with Questwealth like it is with traditional investment firms or banks.
Actively Managed PortfoliosQuestwealth Portfolios actively manages your investments. It employs a team of expert financial advisors who keep tabs on movements in the market. Using their experience and research, portfolio managers at Questwealth rebalance your portfolio to mitigate losses and seek opportunities to boost your returns. Actively managed portfolios typically mean higher management fees. That is not the case for clients working with Questwealth.
Free Tax-Loss HarvestingThis is a feature available if you choose taxable accounts at Questwealth. Tax-loss harvesting essentially lowers your taxes on investment gains by using any losses in investments to offset it. The portfolio managers at Questwealth use tax-loss harvesting to lower the capital gains tax in cash accounts – and they do it free of additional fees.
Automatic RebalancingOnce you have selected the portfolio and Questwealth invests your capital, you can simply “set it and forget it” without worrying about making changes manually. The financial experts at Questwealth constantly monitor the mixture of assets in each portfolio. They make adjustments to the changing market conditions to maximize the profits and minimize the risks to your capital.
Is Questwealth Safe and Legit?Questrade is a member of the Canadian Investor Protection Fund (CIPF). It means that your account with Questwealth Portfolios is adequately insured. In case Questwealth ever goes bankrupt, your capital is protected up to a value of $1 million. Questrade also offers free private insurance of an additional $10 million. The company is also a member of the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC). I think you can consider your investment safe with Questwealth Portfolios.  Get $10,000 Managed Free at QuestWealth Here
User Reviews for QuestwealthIf you search Reddit for reviews from customers who have used Questwealth, there are plenty of happy customers out there. I scoured through the internet to find reviews from customers who have been using Questwealth to see what they have to say so you can have an unbiased look at Questwealth. Most people have good things to say about their experience of using Questwealth. However, I do share the concerns about an actively managed portfolio compared to a passively managed portfolio and the results it yields.